Eastern Europe Webquest
Use the Internet links below to uncover some "Treasures" of about Eastern European geography and culture. You will focus both on Eastern Europe as a whole and on the separate countries of Eastern Europe. Each Resource Link may be used more than once to answer multiple questions. After finding all the answers, move to the Big Question to bring your ideas together in a broader understanding of the topic. Either type your answers or write them on a separate sheet. The current event should be at least a paragraph long and written in complete sentences. All answers should be placed on your answer sheet. There may be no more than two people per group (two per group is preferred). You only have two days use your time wisely.
1. What is the relative location of Poland?
2. What is the total area in miles of Poland?
3. Name three countries that border Poland.
4. Briefly describe the climate of Poland.
5. Explain one environmental concern in Poland.
6. What is the population and age structure of Poland?
7. What ethnic groups are found in Poland?
8. What is the capital of Poland?
9. When is Poland’s Constitution Day?
10. Write one sentence to describe the Legislative Branch of government in Poland.
11. Describe the Polish Flag.
12. What industries are found inPoland?
13. Go to http://poland.pl/ and view some of the “Big Pictures” photo galleries. (Click on “Big Pictures” at the top of the page.) Look through the pictures and read the information. Describe what you learned about Poland from the pictures.
14. Now learn some practical information about Poland. Click on “Practical Information” and choose at least one selection. Read it and write a short summary on your answer sheet.
15. Pick one more link on this site to explore. Write the name of one you picked and one thing you learned from the link.
16. Explore information about Polish names, cuisine, holidays, customs and Polish lifestyle at: Polska. Write down three interesting facts. (You may need to click the British flag for the English version of the site)
17. What is the location of the Czech Republic?
18. Name the countries that border the Czech Republic.
19. Describe the Climate of the Czech Republic.
20. Describe the terrain of the Czech Republic.
21. How many miles of coastline does the Czech Republic have?
22. What are the birth and death rates in theCzechRepublic?
23. What ethnic groups are found in theCzechRepublic?
24. What type of government do they have?
25. What is the capital?
26.Describe their flag.
27. Go to the Famous 'Czechs' and find three famous people from the Czech Republic. Write their name and a brief explanation as to why they are famous.
28. Visit My Czech Republic what are the seven regions of the Czech Republic? You will need to click on the regions button.
29.Click on one regions and write a brief description of that region.
30. Click on the culture button; now click on Holidays and traditions. Pick one of the Czech holidays. What are two traditions the Czech’s have on that holiday?
31. Click on the Cuisine button. Describe some of the foods people from the Czech Republic might eat.
32. Check out the photo gallery to view scenes of the Czech Republic. Describe what you see.
33. After viewing the photos taken by Jeff Shanberg explain how the Czech Republic is similar & different from Central PA?
34. What is the location of Slovakia?
35. Name the countries that border Slovakia.
36. Describe the Climate of Slovakia.
37.When and why didCzechoslovakiaseparate into two independent countries?
38. What are the highest and lowest points in Slovakia?
39. What natural resources can be found in Slovakia?
40. What is the population of Slovakia?
41. What languages are spoken in Slovakia?
42. What is the capital of Slovakia?
43. Name four industries found in Slovakia.
44. Go to Slovakia Regions scroll down to the map. Choose a region that interests you, click on its name. Write three facts about that region.
45. Go to F.A.Q's. Read through the questions. Why did Slovakia succeed from Czechoslovakia in 1993?
46. What is the location ofHungary?
47. Name the countries that borderHungary?
48. Describe the terrain ofHungary.
49. When did Hungary join NATO? The EU?
50. What natural resources are found inHungary?
51. What religions are practiced in the country?
52. What type of government doesHungarythe have?
53. What is the capital?
54. Who is the Chief of State? Since when?
55. Describe their flag.
56. Visit Hungary.com, scroll over regions. There will be a list of regions, what are the five regions of Hungary?
57. Click on one of the links under "Things to do and see." Write a fact about a place to visit in Hungary.
58. Under "About Hungary" and the "Culture", choose a link. Write one fact you learned about Hungary’s culture from that link.
59. Pick a "Trip Idea." Write which one you chose and what you would do on a trip to Hungary.
60. What is the location ofSlovenia?
61. Name the countries that borderSlovenia?
62. Describe the climate ofSlovenia.
63. What is an environmental concern inSlovenia?
64. What is the population ofSlovenia?
65. What type of government doesSloveniahave?
66. What is the capital?
67. When they become independent fromYugoslavia?
68. Under “Get Inspired” look through the videos, panoramic pictures, and the photo albums. Compare and contrast Slovenia and Central PA.
69. Scroll to “About Slovenia” and click “Getting to Know Slovenia” Choose one of the stories and click on the link. Write a few of the interesting things you learned about Slovenia from the link.
70. Scroll to “What to See and Do” and click on “Nature” or “Tourist Attractions.” Choose the site that most interests you and click on the link. Write the name of the site, some facts about it, and why it interests you.
71. What is there location?
72. Describe the climate ofBosnia.
73. What is a natural hazard faced here?
74. What is the population ofBosnia?
75. What type of government doesBosniahave?
76. What is the capital?
77. What is Bosnia and Herzegovina shaped like? (Hint: It’s what they call the land)
78. Explore the website to learn more about Bosnia & Herzegovina. Then go to “FAQ’s” or “Frequently Asked Questions.” Write down two facts.
79. What is the location ofSerbia?
80. Describe the Terrain ofSerbia.
81. What is the population ofSerbia?
82. What type of government doesSerbiahave?
83. What is the capital?
84. What is the location of Albania?
85. What natural resources are found inAlbania?
86. What languages are spoken inAlbania?
87. What is the capital?
88. Click on “About Albania” then on “Climate.” How would you need to dress if you visited Albania in the summer? the winter?
89. Go to cultural heritage section and click on religious monuments. Write down a fact about Kuzum Baba.
90. What is the location ofBulgaria?
91. Describe the climate ofBulgaria.
92. Name three ethnic groups found inBulgaria.
93. What is the capital ofBulgaria?
94. What is the location of Romania?
95. Describe the climate ofRomania.
96. What is the highest and lowest point in Romania?
97. What type of government does Romania have?
98. What is the capital ofRomania?
99. What is the location of Kosovo?
100. Describe the climate of Kosovo.
101. Describe Kosovo’s flag?
102. Read the introduction to Kosovo, after WWII Kosovo became an autonomous province of what country?
103. In what year did the Kosovo assembly declare Kosovo independent?
Look over all the questions above and your answers to them and state what you feel are the 3 - 5 major ideas about the geography and culture ofEastern Europe.