Quality daily schedules for Preschoolers …
- are developmentally and culturally appropriate.
- include a balance of active and quiet activities.
- provide for small group and whole group instruction.
- allow for active exploration of materials within the learning environment.
- include routines and recognize them as opportunities to further learning.
- encourage flexibility to meet the varying needs of children.
A developmentally and culturally appropriate preschool schedule has a balance of large and small motor activities, indoor and outdoor experiences along with child-initiated and teacher-directed opportunities. Instruction occurs in small and whole groups, one-on-one as well as through daily manipulation of materials within the learning environment. Routines are also included in a daily schedule and used to further concept and skill development.
Structure and flexibility both play an important role in the daily schedule and will be determined by children’s needs, interests and attention. The daily schedule is an order of events that shape a child’s day so they can anticipate what will happen next. In general terms, it is “activity blocks” of what occurs on a day to day basis. The daily schedule must meet individual needs therefore variations in scheduling will occur.
The schedule should be posted in a location accessible to parents. It should also be posted at children’s eye level and in a format the meets their developmental needs such as a picture schedule indicating the activities for the day.
The following link provided additional information on scheduling for preschoolers in a half-day program. half_day_prek_schedule.pdf
The following link provides additional information for scheduling for preschoolers in a full-day program. full_day_prek_schedule.pdf